Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas takes place on the basis of a selection test designed and
conducted by the CBSE. The test , called the Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas Selection Test
(JNVST) is of nonverbal nature, class neutral and so designed as to ensure that talented
children from the rural areas are able to compete without facing any disadvantages.
Because of the poor communication facilities in rural areas special care is taken .to
ensure that children from far flung rural areas get admission forms free of cost without
any problem. Sufficient publicity is done through Doordarshan, All India Radio, local
newspapers, pamphlets, visits of Principals and teachers of Navodaya Vidyalayas to the
local schools of the district. As a result rural areas are becoming aware of the Navodaya
To appear at the
Selection Test, a candidate has to fulfill the following eligibility conditions:
- A candidate appearing for the Selection Test must be studying in Class V in a Government
/ Government-Aided or other recognized school or schools under Schemes of "Sarav
Shiksa Abhiyan" or 'B' certificate competency course of National Institute of Open
Schooling in the same district where he/she is seeking admission in the just preceding
academic session for which Selection Test is conducted. Actual admission in Class VI in
the session is, however, subject to the condition of having passed Class V before
- A candidate seeking admission must be between the age group 9-13 years on 1st May of the
year of admission for which the Selection Test is conducted. This applies to all
categories of candidates including those who belong to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled
- A candidate claiming admission from rural quota must have studied and passed class III,
IV & V from Government/Government Aided/recognised schools located in Rural area in
the preceding three continuous academic sessions for which the Selection Test is conducted
spending one full academic session in each class without any repetition of class, gap
and/or break in.
- A candidate who is not promoted to Class V before November of the preceding academic
year for which. the test is conducted is not eligible to apply.
- No candidate is allowed to appear in the selection test, for the second time under any
- A candidate seeking admission under the rural quota must have studied and passed class
III, IV & V from Government/Government Aided/recognized school(s) located in the rural
The above conditions
are applicable to all the candidates irrespective to their caste or gender.